Finding My Way



I think I am every teacher's dream. I was always the student who earned a prize for getting the highest grade, or a sticker for going out of my way to do something kind for someone else. I'm used to being at the top and when I'm not there, I am working to get there. 

During my senior year of high school I took all of my classes at Valencia College, in order to get a year ahead. I remember visiting with my high school academic advisor to make sure the schedule I created would satisfy the high school requirements as well. I was there to seek guidance and double check that come the end of the year I would be graduating from high school with my class. In the meeting I ended up filling in my advisor on things like course requirements and deadlines. That's how it's always been for me. I usually seek advice, but end up teaching the teacher. So when I transferred to UF it was no different.

I didn't need an advisor to help pick out classes or make a schedule, because I knew how to figure it out on my own. I knew that I wanted to join a club and surround myself with others who had the same goals. I joined a club called AWSM, the Association for Women in Sports Media. The club was a perfect fit for a woman who had the dream of becoming a sports broadcaster. 

The first meeting I went to had about 30 females in attendance. UF alumna Laura Rutledge skyped in to share advice and answer questions. She was very easy relatable, because she was in our shoes only a few years prior. It's inspiring to hear from successful women in the industry, especially when they walked the same halls. Since it was the first meeting I attended, I didn't have any expectations. But I left feeling more inspired than I already was. It's always a good feeling when you're reminded that dreams are possible when you put in the work. This simple 20 minute chat set the tone for the rest of my time at UF. I felt empowered and I couldn't help but think when I am in her shoes I would love to do the same and more. 

As the meetings continued, less and less students showed up. A few times I found the meetings to be only the executive board members plus myself. I made the general body meetings a priority, because I was passionate for what the club stood for. That spring I was invited to join the e-board on a networking trip at the Golf Channel in Orlando. I jumped at the opportunity, because believe it or not, my best friend and I watch golf on TV all the time. We both love to attend The Players Championship and the Arnold Palmer Invitational annually. 

The trip was amazing, but more importantly I finally had a chance to connect with the e-board girls. It was there where I talked to the President of UF AWSM and asked her how to be more involved like she was. I had seen her post pictures of her anchoring, taking photos and writing stories. That day I met Eric Esterline, the club's supervisor and he helped put me in position to join ESPN Gainesville that summer. 


It's funny to write this now, because the following election Eric told me I should run for a position on the board. It was a quick turn around, from being a newbie to then becoming the Secretary. This club meant a lot to me before I even joined it. And because of it I was able to get involved with sports media. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts