Get to Know Kate

Kate is a fourth-year telecommunication-news student at the University of Florida. 

Kate does it all: Behind the camera she captures emotional moments as a photographer for the University of Florida Athletic Association. She's comfortable being in front of the camera, too. Kate interviews players, coaches, fans and family members for pre- and post-game coverage as a beat reporter for ESPN Gainesville/WRUF-FM. In addition, Kate produces the sports segment for the weekly WUFT News program. There, she's responsible for writing the script in its entirety to include production commands. The presentation includes video highlights and interviews taped and edited, and Kate then live anchors the final package on a daily deadline. In addition, she writes stories for wruf.com where she informs sports fans of local, state, and national trending topics. Kate also utilizes social media as a tool to help get the stories in front of viewers. 

INTERVIEW  


What is your earliest memory of being a journalist? 
In fifth grade I started a school paper with a handful of friends. I remember I was very upset when I picked to be the editor-in-chief. I wanted to be the graphic designer, because that meant using Wordart. However, the others insisted I be in charge.

When did you know reporting was for you?
In middle school I registered for TV production the first semester I was eligible to do so. I learned how to perform all positions in order to broadcast the morning announcements. I knew I wanted to be the anchor before I even took a shot at it. The anchors were supposed to take turns each week, but after only a few weeks my classmates said the spot was mine. Students were able to be in the class for only one semester to allow others the opportunity during the second half of the year. Yet, my teacher asked me to join as her assistant and train the new students in all roles, especially anchoring. 

What made you interested in sports reporting?
My dad passed away in 2003, leaving my younger brother to watch the games by himself. My mom isn't a sports gal, and my older brother only watches sports to root for the opposing team. It started out by just wanting to keep him company, but I soon realized I wanted to be like Erin Andrews and Doris Burke. From then on I told everyone that I wanted to work for ESPN, and I'd one day be on TV. I still learn something from him every single time I plop down on the couch next to him. 

If given the opportunity to interview one athlete, who would it be and why?
I am a huge believer in girl power, so I have lots of admiration for women who break barriers in sports. I find Simone Biles and Gabby Douglas' stories incredibly inspiring. I imagine I'd find myself hysterically laughing and crying during this one.

What is your favorite sport to watch?
The list of sports I don't like to watch would be a shorter one. Football would most likely be my No. 1. I've attended a few Gator games by my lonesome, because my friends didn't care to go. But I just couldn't miss out. I watched both of my brothers play football for many years before joining the girls' team myself in high school. 

What is your favorite part of reporting?
My favorite part is connecting whomever I'm interviewing. When listening to my source, I genuinely care about his or her story. Connecting and empathizing with others comes natural to me. As an extreme extrovert, I believe there's nothing without human interaction. 

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you found your passion. I'm sure you're going to do great things in this industry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kate, baller blog and great Snapchat drawing of a Gator. I always knew you had a little Alberta in you. But for real, keep up the solid work! I'll see you around the newsroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate! You're such an awesome person and I love seeing all the amazing work you do! PS. Thanks for that picture last week at the game :) You rock!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts