Covering Gator Softball


When I was put on the Gator Softball beat, I was over the moon. I played softball throughout elementary and middle school, as well as helped coach my younger sister's travel team. 

I quit the softball team, because I knew I didn't want it to be my life. My friends convinced me to try out for the high school cheer team when we were in eighth grade. When I made the team, I left softball and never looked back.

Being told to attend all the games wasn't a chore. I missed the smell of dirt. I loved covering the team. My job was to write a game preview before the Gators played. During the game I would sit in the press box, live tweet using TweetDeck and take notes. After the game I would interview the players and coaches. Using the quotes, I'd then write a recap story. 

The first game I happened to be covering was the same one Kelly Barnhill threw a Perfect Game. It was also her third no hitter of the season. 

Comments

Popular Posts