Before UF

For as long as I can remember I was a Miami Hurricanes fan. Both of my parents graduated from Johnson and Wales University in Providence, Rhode Island. We didn't have any ties to Miami, no family lived there, and I was born in New Jersey, however I felt that the blood that ran through my veins was orange and green.

My plan was to graduate from high school, attend the University of Miami and become a sports broadcaster for ESPN. No one could tell me otherwise. The U was the only school that I applied to as a high school senior. Because of my 5.8 GPA, hundreds of community service hours, involvement with National Honor Society, Science National Honor Society and various other clubs, as well as a student athlete all four years, everyone and myself included found no doubt that I wouldn't get accepted. It was a devastating day when I checked my application status, and it started with "We regret to inform you," I immediately started balling and can still remember the pain and embarrassment I felt. I didn't understand, and I felt mad at God.
A year later, I received my Associate's Degree from Valencia College, where I had dual-enrolled full time my senior year.

It was time to transfer to other schools. But now there was another school on my radar... but it was not the University of Florida. It was the University of Washington.
I went back and forth deciding if I'd rather attend UM because it was a life-long dream, or UW because I had a new found love for Seattle. Additionally, I applied to a third university; UF. UF was my third choice, and a backup plan in case I was denied from the other two schools.

After just a few weeks, I was accepted to UF before hearing from the other two. I opened the letter that said "Congratulations, you're a Gator," I said "Yeah right." I hated the Florida Gators my entire life because they were Miami's in-state rivals. But just two days later, I committed to UF without hearing back from UM or UW yet. I decided that I'd be an idiot if I didn't attend UF, because it's journalism school was nationally ranked in the Top 10. I knew if I wanted to be like Erin Andrews, I'd have to go to the best school for my major, rather than attending a school just because I loved it. I came to UF with an attitude that it was just business and I would work hard for two years and move on. Even after being accepted to UM and receiving a Presidential Scholarship for outstanding academics which reduced tuition by half, I still went with my brain rather than my heart and headed to Gainesville.

I know now that I was not originally accepted to UM, because had I been, I would've attended that school rather than the school I needed to be at.
I found this photo just a few weeks ago, and realized I was destined to be a Gator without even knowing it.

Comments

Popular Posts